If you are thinking about getting braces, congratulations, it’s something you won’t regret. To get you started, here are my top ten ‘getting started’ braces tips.
1. Take some time to do your research. There are many different treatment options provided by a large number of practices. Have an idea about the outcome you want to achieve and which brace options you will consider. Every brace system, whether that be aligners, lingual braces, traditional or clear brackets or removable appliances, have both advantages and disadvantages. Make sure you fully understand your options before making a decision.
2. Visit a Specialist Orthodontist and listen to their advice. They specialise in orthodontics and have an expert knowledge and can advise you on what your best options are.
3. You can be enticed by special offers but you should avoid being seduced by them. Keep in mind your outcomes and make sure you fully understand what is being offered.
4. Visit several practices before you make up your mind. Every practice is different, they have a different atmosphere and different treatment options. Where did you feel most comfortable, which practice do you think you will enjoy visiting most over the next couple of years? Which orthodontist did you feel most confident with?
5. Think about retention. At the end of your treatment, your teeth may relapse so to avoid this, you will need to wear retainers. If you are not prepared to commit to wearing retainers, you should carefully think about whether it is worth undertaking orthodontic treatment.
6. Talk to some existing patients at the practice, read reviews and blog posts to find out what other people think about the practice. A word of mouth recommendation is worth far more than well-crafted dental marketing.
8. Think about the direct costs such as the treatment fees but also the indirect costs such as time off work for regular appointments. You can learn more about the cost of braces here.
9. Visit your dentist or hygienist before getting your braces fitted for a thorough clean. Keeping your teeth clean after getting braces fitted is a lot harder so give yourself a head start.
10. Finally, once you have finished your research, found a great practice and made a decision to get started, go for it!
These are my top ten ‘getting started’ braces tips, do you have any to add to this list?