In a number of previous posts, I have referred to the General Dental Council (GDC) register and why you might wish to use it in your research. If you are confused about whether the person offering orthodontic treatment is a ‘specialist orthodontist’ or a dentist you can search by their name or GDC registration number on the GDC website.┬áIf they are a specialist orthodontist, their entry will state ‘Speciality – Orthodontics‘.

If you are in doubt about someone’s qualifications, simply ask and if you are still unsure, speak to the GDC who will be able to provide you with the information you are looking for. Remember, they do not have to be a specialist orthodontist to provide orthodontic treatment. Any dentist can provide orthodontic treatment if they feel they are competent to do so.